Visitation Modifications

Child Custody Modifications Attorney in Columbus, OH

If your family’s circumstances change, you may want to make an adjustment to your child’s custody arrangement. Keep in mind, you can modify any aspect of the agreement, so long as the court agrees it is in the best interest of the child. 

The process is simple enough when both parents agree on the changes. You and the other parent sign and submit the necessary paperwork through the county that issued the original order, including a joint request outlining your desired modifications. The required documentation may vary depending on your current custody arrangement and the modifications being sought. After you submit the documents, the court will review your request and make the changes it deems appropriate. 

It's more complicated when parents do not agree on the changes. The party who desires the modifications must file an individual request through their county. The court will notify the other party of the petition, then hold a trial where each parent and their lawyer can present evidence for requesting or disputing the change. 

If you are unsure about your parental rights or need help making adjustments to your parenting schedule, call Chris Smith Law at (614) 412-4442 or message us

How to Modify Your Visitation Rights

In a trial, the requesting party must prove their circumstances or those of the child have changed in such a way that the child’s best interests can only be met with modifications to the existing custody order. 

Common reasons for requesting changes include: 

  • A significant change to a parent’s income
  • A parent has moved out of the city or state
  • Evidence of child abuse or neglect
  • Evidence of criminal activity 

It can be particularly challenging to change which parent has the larger share of parenting time and sole decision-making authority. In general, both parents must agree to the change, or the judge must agree that changing the child’s environment and custodial parent is more beneficial than harmful to their well-being. 

Grandparents’ Visitation Rights in Ohio

After some divorces, parents may try to limit a child’s interaction with their grandparents. If you’re a grandparent in this situation in the state of Ohio, you may pursue court-ordered privileges that are enforceable by law. As with other requests to adjust parenting schedules, the judge must agree the changes serve the child’s best interests. Our visitation modification attorney in Columbus can help you explore your options. 

Modifying Custody Arrangements in Franklin County and Surrounding Areas

Modifying visitation privileges or other aspects of a parenting schedule can take anywhere from months to over a year. At Chris Smith Law, our lawyer can help you smoothly navigate this process as timely as possible. We can work with you to evaluate your situation and determine if you have a pathway for modifying your parental rights and custodial situation. We can also help gather evidence, handle paperwork, and advocate on your behalf in and out of the courtroom. 

Call (614) 412-4442 to schedule a consultation with our custody modification attorney in Columbus, or send us the details of your case using our contact form


  • I would recommend him to anyone.

  • Excellent service.

  • The service was exceptional.

  • Chris  Smith Photo
    Chris Smith

    "Christopher Smith is a trial attorney who has litigated many different types of cases in various courts across the State of Ohio. From cases involving divorce to cases that take the unique skill of fighting for parental rights, Christopher Smith has earned the reputation as an aggressive advocate for his clients."

    Read Full Bio
Hire An Attorney Who Will Fight On Your Side
  • Aggressive Advocate For You and Your Case
  • 15+ Years of Experience Fighting for Clients
  • Trusted Team To Walk You Through Your Case Step By Step
  • Compassionate and Understanding Legal Services
Free Consultations Available

Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (614) 412-4442.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy